Gerry and Andy discuss the new plans for Design Politics 2020 in the light of the coronavirus situation, a bumper crop of books in Andy’s Book Corner for your reading now that you’re stuck at home all day, a study in how Canadians go to the toilet, and Gerry gets out his guitar and sings… No, really.
This is HCD
- Please fill in our survey to help us shape the virtual version of Design Politics 2020. It’ll just take a couple of minutes!
- Design Politics Conference site
- Power of Ten with Andy Polaine
- EthnoPod with Jay Hasbrouck
- Bringing Design Closer with Gerry Scullion
- ProdPod with Adrienne Tan
- Getting Started in Design with Gerry Scullion
- Talking Shop with Andy Polaine and Gerry Scullion
- Decoding Culture with Dr. John Curran
Andy’s Book Corner
- Brit(ish): On Race, Identity and Belonging by Afua Hirsch
- From Notes to Narrative: Writing Ethnographies That Everyone Can Read by Kristen Ghodsee, which is really a good book about writing in general. Great for design researchers. Hat tip to Chris Hayward for this recommendation.
- Antisocial: Online Extremists, Techno-Utopians, and the Hijacking of the American Conversation by Andrew Marantz – well-written and depressing at the same time.
- Unlearn: Let Go of Past Success to Achieve Extraordinary Results by Barry O’Reilly. Lots of great insights personal and organisational change. (Barry is, in fact, Irish – Andy got it wrong in the podcast).
- Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know about the People We Don’t Know by Malcolm Gladwell.
- Beyond The Prototype: A roadmap for navigating the fuzzy area between ideas and outcomes by Douglas Ferguson.
Connect with This is HCD